The original New Street station formally opened on 1 June 1854 and was constructed as a joint station by the London and North Western Railway and the Midland Railway. At the time of completion, it had the largest iron and glass roof in the world at 65m wide and 256m long.
The popularity of the railways led to the station being expanded in 1885 and by the turn of the century, New Street was one of the busiest railway stations in the country.
The station was badly damaged by bombing raids in World War ll leading to the removal of the roof after the war. The original station was finally demolished in 1964 and the New Street station we know today opened in 1967 to coincide with the electrification of the West Coast Mainline.
The project saw the first ever sale of "air rights" above the railway by British Rail leading to the construction of the Pallasades Shopping Centre in 1970.
As the people of the West Midlands are only too aware, the station hasn't changed significantly for over 40 years, making the redevelopment project so important for the future of the city.